When we started the project, the problem was summarized as the image below:
The evolution of problems coupled with climate change impacts creates an array of problems in Xi’an. The increased levels of sedimentation, raise the level of the river bed causing it to flood ever so often. The access to good quality water coupled with the on and off drought causes the people to pump water from the ground. This water is however polluted by industrial waste and results in a poor quality of life. The image above summarizes the needs to be :
- access to good quality water
- Finding better ways to access water other than the ground
- Find ways to reduce sedimentation
- Reduce risk of flood and drought
On the basis of the needs, we have derived various solutions that can be summarized in three phases. Phase 1 will localize the solutions at the household. Phase 2 will focus on the inner city transportation hubs and disposal of waste. and lastly, phase 3 will focus on the region and solving the problem at bay. These solutions working in tandem will reduce the risk and will eventually provide a better quality of life for the people in the city.
We finally compare our proposed solutions with the needs. We believe our solutions to be not only ecologically safe but also ones that will improve the quality of life for years to come.
For the most part, our solutions were appreciated. But the reviewers suggested the following solutions to strengthen our project:
- They suggested that on a conceptual level, our solutions made sense. But we could quantify the data and then our solutions could be scaled to the real world.
- They also suggested that we could use rock mounds from the vicinity and eliminate the use of gabions that would rust with time and contaminate the river more.
By incorporating these suggestions into the project, I am excited to see what comes out of it.